Saturday 8 September 2012

You’re Gay And You Don’t Know It.

I attended this conference on gay people by Nivedita Menon, Pramada Menon, Gautam Bhan (prominent activists, took the initiative of decriminalization of sex between homosexuals under 377) as a part of my law studies. The first thing that this name brought to my mind was hours of cribbing about gay rights and equality. I guess others in my batch shared the same instinct, because as soon as the word of going to the conference broke out, everybody started thinking of excuses to give for missing it. “I am Homophobic” was my personal favourite. I anyways followed the crowd and attended the conference, and it blew my mind. Their main argument was not how gays are discriminated against, their argument was how the simple identity of being gay overshadowed rest every identity. So if a person says “I am a lecturer at Harvard, CEO at Apple, oh and by the way, I am gay” subconsciously the way you will categorize him is not as “teacher at Harvard” or “CEO at apple” but as “a gay.”

As soon as I left the conference, I ostentatiously started telling people how great the conference was and how deep and insightful the discussion was. I expected looks of acknowledgement and questions about the details about the seminar; instead, I got looks of suspicion and questions of whether I was gay. However, that didn’t bother me. What bothered me was that the first time I was asked this, I felt offended. This forced me to question that why do people name the supporters of gay movement as gays and how and when exactly did the term “gay” become an insult.
I guess that people in support of the gay movement, with the idea that moving around, interacting and living with them are rare. And straight people with the same ideology are rarer. It is a bit odd for the society to hear things like “I support gays and will fight for them till end” from the mouths of straight people. So impulsively, the first thing that comes to their minds is- “oh, is he one of the gays?’ Because there is no way they can know for sure; they have to ask, and then most of the times, their attitudes towards gays change, which brings me to my second concern; the reducing of the term “gay” to an insult.
To summarize the happenings in the society and precisely in India in a layman’s language, I would say that there are two kinds of people in the society. One, who have sexual and romantic relationship with humans who are totally different from them, mentally and physically. and the other who have the same with humans who are the same in every aspect,. The first group is justified in feeling strange living around and in insulting the other group, whereas, the mere co existent of the second group with the first is unacceptable for some people in the society.  Since childhood, loving people of the same gender has been strange, odd or “queer” for us without any pragmatic explanation. We feel weird because they have sex with people of the same gender, for all we know, they might be feeling strange because we do the same with the people of the opposite gender.

Boy after a talk on queer identity in the class by a homosexual- but mam, with all due respect, I would still feel insecure leaving my boy child alone near a gay.
Lecturer- Oh that’s good, we feel insecure leaving our girl child near you!

In a society, the practice of the majority is normal and that of the minority is queer. This is the only reasonable explanation I can give for this discrimination. But we have to accept the homosexual identity as a way of life. Some people like the opposite gender, some like the same. Period. Let’s move above the queer identity and start recognising those people for different ones like a successful feminist/lecturer/student. Let’s get over the mental block and queerness.



P.S- I am not gay- to answer the question that might have popped up at least once in the minds of some people while reading this article.
Thank you for proving my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment